Stockwood Park Ladies v Wellingborough Ladies

Normally the sun shines on the Huns, but this Sunday was a bit damp to say the least…

The ladies were hosting Wellingborough in the re-arranged fixture from before Christmas and were hoping to continue their excellent run of form. It was a bit disjointed at the start, with the opposition only having 10 players and 2 on the way – in this league you have to match at the start of a game so with 19 players it was going to be difficult to give everyone a proper run out. In fairness to Wellingborough, they made the long journey arriving with excellent spirit and commitment that can only be applauded. As much as we don’t like these small-sided games; it’s about playing rugby.

We started poorly as we knocked on from the kickoff and quickly found ourselves defending our 22. However, upon winning the ball back we were quickly upfield and putting Wellingborough under pressure. Eleanor was everywhere and the structure we had spoken about was trying to be implemented – albeit we were holding onto the ball a bit too long. The pressure was building, and we were moving the ball well, from 5 meters out Kristie came crashing through to score the first try and her first for us – who knew she could play 10s! From the re-start we were straight back into it and with her dancing feet it was Eleanor who avoided the tackles to score under the posts and with Aimee converting this one, it was 12-0 with not a lot of time gone.

It needs to be said though that we had to work for the openings because Wellingborough were spirited and not going to just lay down. After some more phases it was Cathy Edmunds who gazelle-like sprinted through a gap and looked to be odds on to score, however a decent covering tackle meant she needed to off load to the supporting Chloe. The pass was low and Chloe caught it but unfortunately tripped with the try line beckoning – fortunately she had the presence of mind to pop the ball to Charli in support for her to score her second try in as many games.  At 17-0 Wellingborough swapped to the players who had just arrived, after having a bit of decent possession they utilised a really good move which was finished by a rather speedy winger who made it  look very easy, with the conversion made it was 17-7 and interesting.

Unfortunately, Wellingborough had few subs and with a few getting hurt but continuing, our intensity started to prove to be too much. With Aimee taking a rest it was Tracey’s turn to get on the end of a good move and converting her own score meant it was 24-7 at half time.

The second half was a bit stop start but we started to express ourselves a bit and with Daisy pretty much driving everybody out of the way we had a lot of the ball. Lil got on the end of a great move to score her first try for the club and Eleanor’s quick feet got her her second try. With Aimee scoring and converting her own try (not wanting to be outdone by Tracey) we were out of sight. The ref rightly looked to finish the game 5 mins early and with P rounding off a decent performance with her first try for the club the whistle went.

At 46-7 it was decent run out for us, and we played some good supporting rugby. Shania showed some excellent touches; Charli was consistent again and Katie M got a good 15 mins for her first ever game. T and Kim also got a little bit more of a runout which is really helping the strength of the squad which is developing brilliantly. Finally, thanks to all the girls as it was difficult on Sunday for game time – 5 mins here 10 mins there – thank you all so much for your understanding.

Big thanks to Wellingborough as it can’t be easy.

Royston next week girls !



Start a Conversation