2XV vs Milton Keynes 47 – 7


Team Captain Seamus Griffin had spoken strongly midweek about an improved performance from his players after a ‘shoddy display’ during the away win at Winslow RFC the week before. Griffin would walk off the field beaming after his side dispatched off a battling Milton Keynes side.

Stockwood were buoyed by the return of centre Yousef Richards and second rower Tom Edmunds, both playing their part in the convincing win.

The home side crossed first, after their powerful scrum provided the platform for dynamic number 8 Aaron Beattie to crash over for the first of two tries. Beattie was dangerous throughout the first half, carrying hard and nearly bagging a first half hat-trick, but some superb cover tackling put a stop to that.

Beattie bagged his second shortly after, with Jason Carr slamming over a penalty in between. With the visitors already struggling in forwards, stand in Captain Frank Daly began to spin the ball wide for Carr to feed dynamic outside centre Jack Brooks to punch through the flailing defensive line to cross for the first of his three tries, with partner in crime Yousef Richards putting in a stellar display in the 12 jersey.

Milton Keynes, to their credit, never gave up and began to ruffle feathers with some strong ball carrying and gave Park a run for their money. But one of last week’s better performers Chenz Vincent Elderton to power over in the corner, carrying one defender on his back and dragging another holding on to his ankle. Brooks bagged his second of the game, hitting a great line straight through the heart of the MK defence, with defenders fixed still not knowing who to hit, then using his gas to break away from the chasing defenders.

The final act of the second half saw evasive winger Aaron Colbert score a potential Try of The Year contender, catching and dropping the ball onto his foot in one movement to get past the first on rushing defender, all done inside 2-3 metres, putting foot to leather again then gliding past a chasing defender, before beating the on rushing full back to dot down. The ecstatic winger threw in a celebratory DAB, much to the delight of the onlookers!

The second half started as the first ended, with Park on the front foot. Milton Keynes fronted up and began to pressurise the home side causing silly errors and beginning to break up the flow, and even managed to get over the try line, which was met with cheers from both sets of supporters.

Brooks, who was a standout performer from the first whistle bagged the final try of the game half way through the half. The game was brought to a sour end, after the referee decided that the players were getting too heated, much to the disappointment of both sets of players.

Captain Griffin spoke after the game: “The lads arrived with a level of intensity unseen this season, the warm up was intense and you could see the lads wanted to impress after the Winslow performance.

“I thought Jack and Yousef were outstanding in the centre, they were strong in the tackle and their running lines were superb. The biggest compliment must go to the forwards, who pushed MK off the park and led to the ref calling for uncontested scrums within 15 minutes.”

The next big test comes this Saturday as Stockwood welcome Dunstable to London Rd.

Final score: 47-7
Point scorers: J Brooks 3T, A Beattie 2T, Chenz 1T, A Colbert 1T
J Carr 4C 1P.

Man of the Match: Jack Brooks

Start a Conversation