In the 1920’s an Old Modernians rugby team existed briefly, but it was not until much later that the Old Lutonians RFC was formed when the Old Boys returning from World War II banded together to form OLFRC. The enthusiasm of Bill Shepherd contributed to the formation of the club. They lost their first game, at home to Bedford Athletic, on September 28th 1946. Due to a shortage of Old Boys, boys from the Luton Modern School were recruited to augment their numbers. A shortage of shirts was overcome by advertising in the school magazine for old school shirts to be used as rugby kit.
The club remained a closed Old Boys team until 1964. The disbanding of grammar schools led to OLRFC becoming an open club. The club took the name of the ground where they played, Stockwood Park.
A Mini and Junior section was formed in 1974.
The first known photo of SPRFC mini and youth section – the start of the mini and youth section
with 2 coaches and 10 boys (coaches John Humphreys (right) and Peter Simeons(centre)
Apart from a few early games that were played at the school grounds in Bradgers Hill Road, the club has played all of its home games at Stockwood Park. Changing room accommodation has evolved; firstly the tennis pavilion across the road in Memorial Park was used. Later on, the Luton Public Baths became the changing rooms. After that, there was a Nissan Hut on the present site, shared with the Old Lutonians FC. A separate shower block was situated some twenty yards across an open stretch of land – exceptionally muddy in winter. Latterly, an off-the-shelf timber building was erected. This was the forerunner of the present building.
The Panama pub, now demolished and buried beneath the Mall in Luton, was the first social base for the club and remained so until 1951 when the club acquired an old three-storey hat factory just along the road from the Panama, and converted it into a clubhouse. It was not until 1965 that the social facilities and the changing rooms finally came together on the present site.
In 1981, the bars and social facilities underwent major renovations, and in the summer of 1996, the changing rooms were extended and upgraded. In 2011, French windows and patio doors were installed into the clubhouse, with rolling shutters outside, painted with the club’s colours of Yellow and red.